Black River Canal

icon_blackriverThe Black River Canal was a canal built in northern New York to connect the Erie Canal to the Black River. This canal was only 35 miles long, but it had 109 locks. Portions were in operation in 1850, with full operation in 1855. While options north of Boonville were halted in 1897, portions of the canal were in operation to around 1920.