The Black River Canal was a canal built in northern New York to connect the Erie Canal to the Black River. This canal was only 35 miles long, but it had 109 locks. Portions were in operation in 1850, with full operation in 1855. While options north of Boonville were halted in 1897, portions of the canal were in operation to around 1920.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal operated from 1831 until 1924 parallel to the Potomac River in Maryland from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington, D.C. The total length of the canal is about 184.5 miles. The elevation change of 605 ft was accommodated with 74 canal locks.
The Delaware and Hudson Canal was the first venture of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, which later developed the Delaware and Hudson Railway. The finished canal ran 108 miles, from Honesdale to Kingston. Its 108 locks took it over elevation changes totaling 1,075 feet. It remained a profitable private operation for most of its existence, unlike other canals of the era.
The Erie Canal started construction in 1817 and was completed 8 years later. It united the New York City with the Great Lakes, opening up westward settlement and establishing New York City as a major center on the east coast.
The Schuylkill Navigation System opened in 1825 to provide transportation and water power. At the time, the river was the cheapest and most efficient method of transporting bulk cargo. The canal eventually declined due to the rise of rail transport and was almost completely filled in the 1950s.